Sciatica is a common condition that affects millions of people every year. It can be debilitating, causing pain and tingling in the legs and feet and numbness or weakness in the limbs. The good news is chiropractic care can help relieve these symptoms, so don’t suffer needlessly when relief is just an adjustment away.
If you are experiencing sciatica, it’s essential to see a sciatica chiropractor. Chiropractic care can help with many of the symptoms that come with sciatica, and there are many benefits from receiving treatments. This blog post will answer some questions about sciatica: what causes it, how chiropractic care can help, and the benefits of chiropractic treatment for sciatica!
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica refers to a pain that radiates from the sciatic nerve. This type of pain can cause pins and needles, numbness, weakness, or tingling sensations in one leg or foot. The sensation may start at the hip and extend down through one buttock region before reaching into the lower rear end area. When these symptoms last more than three months, you are said to be experiencing chronic sciatica, which may require professional care.
What are the Symptoms of Sciatica?
You should see your sciatica chiropractor if you have any of these symptoms:
- Shooting pains
- Sharp electric-like shocks
- Constant dull ache with an intermittent burning sensation
- Muscle spasms such as cramps, spasms, or contractions in the back of your thigh and calf
- Pins and needles sensation
What Causes Sciatica?
Sciatic pain can be caused by a herniated disc, an infection in the sciatic nerve canal (paralytic), spinal stenosis, or degenerative disk disease that causes pressure on the sciatic nerve root at any level from the L-lumbar spine to the S-sacral spine. However, the specific cause is yet to be determined.
Your Tallassee, Alabama chiropractor can treat this type of injury with adjustments to reduce pressure on the nerves, so they function as normal again, relieving patients’ discomfort.
How Can Chiropractic Care Help?
Chiropractic care is a popular and effective treatment option for sciatica. The condition has many causes, including injury from a car accident or fall, pressure on the nerve roots in your back from too much sitting or poor posture, pregnancy-related changes to the spine, and more.
A sciatica chiropractor can help by correcting misalignments of joints that may be putting pressure on this important nerve pathway. Chiropractors can also provide spinal manipulation, which releases tension around the joints and muscles and helps relieve pain related to sciatica.
More than just treating symptoms, chiropractic care addresses the underlying cause of these problems to prevent them from recurring.
A chiropractor may recommend one or more treatments for sciatica such as:
- Gentle adjustments to the spine will help remove pressure from whatever is pressing on the sciatic nerve
- Ice packs, heat treatments, or stretching exercises for temporary relief
- Chiropractic manipulations are applied in a precise and controlled directional force designed to take pressure off any part of the spine.
- Acupuncture and dry needling (to treat sciatica, the acupuncturist will insert needles into specific points in your body).
Holistic chiropractic care is often called “diversified” techniques because it can involve rotational manipulation, flexion/extension distraction, tractioning (pulling apart), side bending maneuvers, and myofascial release. In addition, this type of care may include stretches and flexibility training along with strengthening exercises aimed at keeping your body strong enough to resist injury long term. The purpose is to remove compression from nerves and restore proper alignment of joints to restore its function.
What Are 10 Benefits of Chiropractic Care To Sciatica?
For those who suffer from this painful condition, chiropractic care may be your best option. Chiropractors are trained to treat the spine and surrounding joints to relieve pain caused by a pinched or herniated disc.
Many people are unaware of the benefits that chiropractic care can provide. One such benefit is how it can help with sciatica pain. Chiropractors have been known to use their hands-on technique to release any tension from muscle spasms or joint restrictions contributing to this debilitating pain. Below are some of the benefits of seeing a sciatica chiropractor in Tallassee, Alabama:
- More flexibility and mobility in the back can lead to less pain, better digestion, and improved elimination.
- Increased blood flow can enhance the healing of tissues affected by sciatica and help manage chronic inflammation or a degenerative condition like osteoarthritis.
- Relief from sciatic nerve symptoms without drugs or surgery.
- Chiropractic care is cost-effective for most people. It doesn’t have any side effects associated with narcotics or anti-inflammatory medicines.
- Chiropractic care can help reduce inflammation and pain associated with sciatica, leading to increased mobility.
- Increased activity levels due to less pain and decreased sciatica symptoms.
- Improved posture with a decrease in the curvature of your spine, which can lead to increased spinal mobility and improved digestion, and better elimination. This also improves breathing by opening up the ribcage area for more room.
- Decreased stress levels, including anxiety or depression due to being able to do more activities without feeling any sciatic nerve pain or numbness from sitting too long.
- Increased concentration level at work or school. There’s no need to take breaks when you’re experiencing severe back pain from sciatica, making it hard for you to sit still for hours every day while working or studying.
- Reduced severity of sciatica symptoms due to moving your hips and spine around freely, which alleviates pressure on the nerve causing pain.
- Decreased risk for developing a herniated disc or spinal stenosis because there’s less trauma from increased activity in addition to decreased amount of time spent sitting down when you’re experiencing sciatica pain that makes it difficult to get up without help.
- Improved moods with reduced stress levels, including anxiety or depression, and improved sleep quality due to not feeling any sciatic nerve pain during the evening hours.
- Better overall health by having better mobility and range of motion in the spine because you’re able to get it adjusted, allowing for proper spinal curvatures, increasing blood flow, and pain relief.
- Provides high healing satisfaction rates with a 98% success rate in lessening sciatica pain and/or eliminating them entirely.
- Less reliance on pharmaceutical drugs that have adverse side effects like addiction or dependency, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, and liver damage, among other things.
- Adaptive body alignment to the inner ear, which has proven to be effective in treating chronic headaches such as migraines.
- Decreased risk for developing abnormal joint signaling due to sciatica nerve interference from a pinched or irritated sciatic nerve, resulting in more energy levels overall while feeling less fatigue during the day.
What Is The Approach Of Herring Chiropractic Clinic In Addressing Sciatica?
At Herring Chiropractic Clinic, we use typical chiropractic adjustments—gentle joint manipulations designed to reduce pressure on nerves, which may help ease sciatica pain. These adjustments can also promote proper posture and reduce stress on the spine. We will also recommend exercises to strengthen back muscles that support your lumbar region of the spinal column (low back).
Dr. Caroline Herring can assist in helping you make changes in your diet, exercise routine, or lifestyle habits, such as quitting smoking to improve circulation and relieve pressure on painful nerve roots.
We are constantly finding solutions for ongoing problems through spinal decompression therapy or corrective orthopedic surgery when necessary. It is necessary, so they don’t lead to chronic health conditions.
Our approach to addressing sciatica is holistic, combining chiropractic care with other treatments such as physical therapy and acupuncture. We want you to feel better from the inside out by identifying and treating your underlying causes of pain.
At Herring Chiropractic Clinic, our qualified chiropractor team will assess your condition to determine the cause and best course of action. In addition, we believe in educating you on any ailments that may arise to be proactive about managing them before they become worse.
If you’re experiencing pain due to sciatica, you mustn’t wait before getting help.
Herring Chiropractic Clinic is a top-rated chiropractic clinic in the Tallassee, Alabama area, and we take pride in providing our patients with effective care to address their needs. We are happy to help you understand what sciatica is, how it manifests, its causes, and, more importantly, how chiropractic treatments can be beneficial for your condition.
Let us know how we can help! Request an appointment today to see if our clinic in Herring can provide relief for your sciatica symptoms.
If you would like more information about us or have questions about any of these topics, please contact us at (334) 283-6838 today! You may also visit us at 315 Friendship Road Tallassee, AL 36078.